Today the Montana Cowboy Hall of Fame & Western Heritage Center (MCHF&WHC) announced its third class of Legacy Award inductions. This year, the awards honor historical figures that had an impact on Montana’s Western Heritage in the years 1860-1940. The Class of 2010 includes two inductees from each of 12 districts across the state.
The inductees were chosen from candidates nominated by the public and Trustees of the MCHF&WHC. The MCHF&WHC sought nominees that made a notable contribution to the history and culture of Montana before 1940, no matter the year of death or closure. Winners were selected by the MCHF&WHC Trustees.
The winners of the 2010 Legacy Award are:
· District 1 (Daniels, Phillips, Roosevelt, Sheridan, & Valley Counties): Truman “Jack” Stanton Golberg; and Henry Headdress, Sr.
· District 2 (Dawson, Garfield, McCone, Prairie, Richland, & Wibaux Counties): John W. & Ellen Kennedy & the O’Brien Stagecoach Stop; and Arthur & Mabel Parsons
· District 3 (Carter, Custer, Fallon, Powder River, Rosebud, & Treasure Counties): Sid Vollin; and Corrydon W. (C.W.) Wilson
· District 4 (Blaine, Choteau, Hill, & Liberty Counties): Stephen (Steve) Charles Boyce; and Joseph Cobell
· District 5 (Cascade, Glacier, Pondera, Teton, & Toole Counties): Kenneth H. Galbreath; and Alvin Fredrick Sauke
· District 6 (Fergus, Golden Valley, Judith Basin, Musselshell, Petroleum, & Wheatland Counties): Claire R. Boyce; and Ed McGivern
· District 7 (Big Horn, Carbon, Stillwater, Sweet Grass, & Yellowstone Counties): Leo John Cremer; and Alice Greenough
· District 8 (Broadwater, Jefferson, & Lewis and Clark Counties): Montana Stockgrowers Association; and Ming’s Opera House
· District 9 (Gallatin, Meagher, & Park Counties): James Norris “Dick” Randall; and Yellowstone Expedition (Jim Bridger, Charles Cook & David Folsom)
· District 10 (Flathead, Lake, Lincoln, & Sanders Counties): Glacier National Park; and Mokaturo M. Hori
· District 11 Mineral, Missoula, & Ravalli Counties): Monroe D. Fulkerson; and Edgar S. Paxson
· District 12 (Deer Lodge, Beaverhead, Silver Bow, Granite, Madison, & Powell Counties): Bannack; and The Vigilantes of Montana—The Vigilance Committee
The first round of Legacy Awards, voted on by the MCHF&WHC Trustees in 2008, honored cowboys, cowgirls, establishments, organizations, outlaws and a horse through 1920. The 51 inductees served as the Foundational Members of the Montana Cowboy Hall of Fame. Their full biographies are available on the MCHF&WHC’s website, https://www.montanacowboyfame.com. The second round of Legacy Awards, in 2009, honored fourteen recipients from across the state. Past inductees have included Sitting Bull, Evelyn Cameron, the N Bar N Ranch, Charles M. Russell, Plenty Coups, Granville Stuart, Nelson Story, the Grant-Kohrs Ranch, Fannie Sperry Steele and Frank Bird Linderman.
For more information about the Montana Cowboy Hall of Fame & Western Heritage Center, or for more details on the Legacy Award inductees, please contact Christy Stensland at the MCHF&WHC by calling (406) 653-3800, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or logging on at https://www.montanacowboyfame.com.
Posted by Kaci Switzer