GREAT FALLS, MT (Sept. 10, 2015) – The Montana Farmers Union (MFU) annual convention is scheduled for October 22-24 at the Heritage Inn in Great Falls. Members from throughout the state will convene to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of MFU. The convention will feature a unique lineup of keynote speakers, a film festival, fascinating educational panels and demonstrations on Ag safety. Convention goers can register online at www.montanafamersunion.com. Some convention highlights include:
Thursday, October 22, 2015
- Agricultural Film Festival: the film Terra Firma, followed by discussion with featured veterans Althea Raiford, Gilliard Farms; Anna Mann, Chestnut Ridge Farm; Sonia Kendrick, Feed Iowa First.
Friday, October 23, 2015
- Farmers Union Insurance Company Luncheon Keynote: Chris Clayton, Ag Policy Editor, DTN/The Progressive Farmer
- Unveiling of Monte Dolack’s Prairie Evening, a limited edition print for MFU
- Plowing Forward: Climate Change & Agriculture. Dr. Fabian Menalled, Ron deYong, Dr. Bruce Maxwell
Saturday, October 24, 2015
- Fracking Questions in Montana panel: Hertha Lund, Attorney; Dennis Lopach, Attorney; Dr. Willis Weight, Hydrogeologist
- Education Luncheon Keynote: Amberley Snyder. After a car accident left her paralyzed, Amberley has fought her way through challenges to end the 2015 rodeo season in the top 10 within the Rocky Mountain Region, competing in barrel racing and breakaway roping.
- The Next Generation – Leading the Way for the Next 100 Years: MFU Members Katie Bangs, Jake Fagan, Laura Ginsburg, Anna Jones-Crabtree and Paul Kanning will discuss next generation issues. The Montana Department of Agriculture Director Ron de Yong will act as moderator.
- Keeping Your Family Safe – Ag Safety for Everyone: 4-wheeler safety demonstration – drawing for 1 boy and 1 girl to win a helmet; Grain bin safety protocols – & demonstration
- Philip Aaberg in Concert, Mansfield Center for the Performing Arts Theater: Performing: From the Ground Up – Celebrating 100 years of Farmers Union. The concert is open to the public. Tickets can be purchased at the Mansfield Box Office or at:http://www.greatfallsmt.net/mansfieldcenter/ground-celebrating-100-years-farmers-union. Ticket prices are $25 for adults and $15 for students. The first 100 students get in free courtesy of the Farmers Union Insurance Company.
In addition to the extensive educational opportunities offered by the convention, MFU youth will be recognized for their leadership development throughout the year.