Tuesday, April 26th, at 8:00 a.m. Mountain, the Senate Agriculture Committee is holding a hearing to review the Cattle Price Discovery and Transparency Act of 2022 and the Meat and the Poultry Special Investigator Act of 2022.
Below is the list of witnesses that will appear in the Senate hearing:
- Andy Green, senior adviser for fair and competitive markets, the Agriculture Department.
- Bruce Sommers, administrator, USDA Agricultural Marketing Service.
- William Ruffin, Ruffin Farms, Bay Springs, Miss.
- Shawn Tiffany, president-elect, Kansas Livestock Association and Tiffany Cattle Company, Herington, Kan.
- Shelly Ziesch, owner/operator, Ziesch Ranch, Jamestown, N.D.
- Stephen Koontz, professor. agricultural and resource economics, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colo.
Following the Senate hearing, the House Agriculture Committee will hold its own hearing on Wednesday April 27th to examine price discrepancies, transparency, and alleged unfair practices in cattle markets.
The hearing will notably include the CEOs of Cargill, Tyson Foods, JBS and National Beef. That hearing will also begin at 8 a.m. Mountain and can be viewed on the House Ag Committee’s YouTube page.
The full witness list for the House hearing has not yet been announced. However, it will include testimony from Gilles Stockton, a rancher from Grass Range, MT who will represent the Northern Plains Resource Council and the Montana Cattlemen’s Association.
More information will be posted to this article as the committee releases the remainder of the witness list.
Northern Ag Network