Youth Pheasant and Waterfowl Weekend
Montana’s young hunters will have a special treat the weekend of the youth pheasant and waterfowl weekend, Sept. 24 and 25, 2022.
Licensed hunters, 15 and under, will be able to hunt pheasants, ducks, mergansers, geese and coots statewide on these two days.
The two-day youth hunt is open to:
- legally licensed 12-15 year olds who have completed hunter education and who are accompanied by a non-hunting adult at least 18 years of age;
- and properly certified and legally licensed apprentice hunters 10-15 years of age who are accompanied by a non-hunting adult “mentor” at least 21 years of age.
All regulations apply. The Canyon Ferry WMA is an exception— only to the youth waterfowl season shooting hours— they will be one-half hour before sunrise to noon.
Youth Pheasant Waterfowl Weekend | Montana FWP (mt.gov)
In anticipation on the youth hunt weekend, several kickoff events are scheduled around the state to prepare youth to be successful in the field.
- Region 1 in Kalispell: Sept. 20, 6-8 p.m., Flathead Valley Clay Target Club, 1290 Prairie View Road, Kalispell
- Region 2 in Missoula: Sept. 13, 6-8 p.m., Region 2 Headquarters, 3201 Spurgin Road, Missoula . Teller Wildlife Refuge and Ducks Unlimited are partnering to share information and provide hunting and mentorship ideas and opportunities.
- Region 3 in Helena: Sept. 20, 6-8 p.m., Montana WILD Education Center, 2668 Broadwater Ave., Helena. Members of the Headwaters Chapter of Pheasants Forever will be here to provide information on mentorship opportunities.
- Region 4:
- Sept. 24, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Mentored trap shooting and pheasant hunt in cooperation with Pheasants Forever and Golden Triangle Sporting Dog Club. Call or text 406-727-4676 to register or for more information.
- Sept. 22, 6–8 p.m. in Conrad: Pondera County Shooting Sports Center, 972 Granite Road
- Sept. 24 & 25, 8 a.m.-noon, Freezout Lake WMA Headquarters, Fairfield
- Region 5 in Billings: Sept. 10, 8 a.m.-2 p.m., Rattlesnake Duck Club on West Duck Club Road
- Region 6 in Glasgow: Sept. 21, 5-7:30 p.m., Glasgow Trap Club, off Skylark Road
- Region 7 in Miles City: Sept. 22, 6-8 p.m., Region 7 Headquarters, 352 I-94 Business Loop, Miles City